Injured Circus Performers Status Upgraded from Critical to Serious
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
Four performers remain in serious condition and four are reported to be in good condition.
See Feld Release Below
"The condition of several of the performers injured in the accident during the 11 a.m. performance of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents LEGENDS℠ on May 4, 2014, at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI, has been upgraded. Four performers are reported to be in serious condition and four are reported to be in good condition. One performer was released earlier this week.
The cause of the accident continues to be under review by both our company and outside authorities. It has been determined that a carabiner in the rigging failed, however we do not know at this point why. Each piece of equipment used in this act is inspected when it is initially rigged and visually re-inspected prior to each performance.
At load-out last night in Providence, we re-inspected the entire rig and truss. As an additional precaution, we are replacing all carabiners on this unit. The carabiner used in the hair hang act has a load rating in excess of 10,000 pounds. The act, including the performers and equipment, weighs less than 1500 pounds. Every piece of equipment used for the hair hang display is rated for weight loads well over the total weight of the act.
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents LEGENDS℠ is now in Hartford, CT, and performances there will proceed as scheduled from May 8-11. The hair hang act will not be in the show.
The safety of our cast, staff and crew, as well as our guests, continues to be our highest priority. During load-in in Hartford, as per our existing protocol, all equipment will undergo a full safety inspection before performing."
Related Slideshow: Circus Accident at the Dunkin’ Donut Center
- NEW: Two Injured in Circus Accident in Critical Condition
- ProJo Loses Sales and Circulation
- BREAKING: Serious Accident at Circus at Dunkin Donut, Many Injured
- Providence Circus Accident: Animals Inspected but Not Workers
- Big Apple Circus Returns to Rhode Island
- The 7 Worst Circus Accidents
- Biggest Circus Accidents in History
- VIDEO of Circus Accident - Ringling Brothers in Providence
- Celts Acquire Lee, Sox a Circus, Coen Back at Brown
- LISTEN: Biggest Circus Accidents in History
- LISTEN: Providence Circus Accident: Animals Inspected, Not Workers